Please note that these rules may change from time to time without prior notice; we, therefore, invite you to consult them regularly. Your continued submission of articles will be deemed as acceptance of the updated or amended rules.
These rules were last updated on November 18, 2016
Eligibility and Application
- The Starting Business Library contributor program is open to persons who are 18 years or older with a strong online presence and an excellent command of the English language. They must also be experienced, knowledgeable, and passionate about the areas they write in.
- New contributors must complete and submit the application form for consideration. They will need to include their real full name (no aliases or nicknames will be accepted; please note that identification may be requested to rectify disputes). They are also expected to provide their location, e-mail address, a headline, a well-written author bio, and at least one link to a sample work that demonstrates their writing abilities, as well as upload a professional profile picture that clearly and truthfully represents the person associated with the application. Applications that do not meet these requirements will be rejected.
- Contributor applications will be approved or rejected at the sole discretion of the Starting Business Library editorial team. All decisions are final.
- Articles must be written in either British English or American English, and must follow the appropriate spelling and grammar rules at all times.
- Articles must be a minimum of 1,500 words in length.
- Articles should be related to starting, operating, and growing a business, and should fall under one of the following categories: Business Ideas, Business Management, Business Planning, Growth Strategies, Home-Based Business, Internet Business, Startup Essentials, and Wealth Management.
- The content provided within a submitted article must reflect its article title. Articles should be informative, comprehensive, well-structured, and should be able to provide an answer to the question being addressed.
- Content submitted to the Starting Business Library must be original and must not have been previously published elsewhere, whether online or in print. Contributors are also discouraged from simply rephrasing other published articles to create their own article.Any direct or suspected plagiarism can and will result in your account’s suspension.
- Articles must not contain material that is offensive, immoral, illegal, or any negative comments toward a company, individual, or product that can be deemed as libel.
- Articles that are written to sell, promote, or endorse a third-party product or service, or that infringe upon another person or company’s intellectual property (including trademarked and copyrighted materials) will not be accepted.
- Private Label Rights (PLR) articles will not be accepted.
- Factual and statistical data should always be backed up a credible source. Please note that the Starting Business Library reserves the right to add, edit, change, or remove links that are included within submitted articles. External links which are broken, directed to self-promotional material, irrelevant to the article, directed to offensive and immoral webpages, and/or classed as excessive will be removed and may constitute grounds as the suspension of your account.
- Any media (image or video) submitted to the Starting Business Library must be specifically related to the article it accompanies.
- Images must be oriented horizontally and must be 700px (w) and 400px (h) in size. They may not be larger than 5MB and should be submitted in PNG, GIF, or JPEG format.
- Contributors must be the lawful copyright owner of the media, have explicit written permission from the relevant copyright holder to use and/or reproduce it, or the media should be licensed under an appropriate Creative Commons license or in the public domain.
- If people are included in the media submitted to the Starting Business Library, the contributor must provide proof of written release allowing the use of likeness of the subjects in the media.
- A minimum of one image is required for inclusion in every article submitted to the Starting Business Library.
- All media submitted to the Starting Business Library must have proper attribution.
- The Starting Business Library reserves the right to edit, change, or remove media submissions.
Attribution and Promotion
- Contributors will receive full writing credit for the articles they submit to, and which are published on, the Starting Business Library.
- Contributors will be able to provide an author bio for inclusion in their public profile during the application process. They will also be able to add their personal website or blog and links to their social media pages.
- Contributors may not add links to their personal websites or blogs within their articles unless it is directly related and relevant to the topic being addressed.
- Contributors may not share their articles in whole to other websites, blogs, online platforms, or in printed publications after they have been published on and paid for by the Starting Business Library. Contributors are, however, permitted, and are encouraged, to share a link to their article on their blog, personal website, and social media pages. They may also use an excerpt from their articles if they so wish.
- The Starting Business Library will often promote articles on its social media pages but does not guarantee any particular site or reach.
- All articles submitted to the Starting Business Library are subject to editorial review before publication on the website, and the Starting Business Library editorial team reserves the right to make any editorial changes to the content you submit as we see fit and without notice. This includes amending or correcting typing errors, sentence structure, images, and grammar.
- Articles are typically reviewed by our team of professional editors within five business days of submission. However, please note that the review process may take longer, especially during busy periods.
- Articles addressing timely topics (topics currently being covered extensively within the relevant industry) and priority articles (which are identified by the clock icon in the available titles list and which have been assigned a deadline) will be given priority in the review process.
- Articles that require heavy editing or major revisions will be rejected. Our team of editors will provide you with feedback and will work closely with you to produce a well-written, publication-ready article. Please note that if you do not apply any of the suggestions or required revisions to your article at the request of our editors, your article will be rejected outright.
- We pay $50 for every article published on the Starting Business Library. Please note that this amount is non-negotiable.
- Payment is made to the relevant PayPal account indicated in the payment request. Please allow 2–5 for clearance of transfer of funds.
Disclaimers and Policies
- The Starting Business Library will have final approval on all content published on its website, and reserves the right to refuse the publication of articles, to edit/remove content, and to change the rules outlined here as we see fit.
- Payment for articles submitted to and published on the Starting Business Library will be made to the PayPal account associated with your Starting Business Library account. No exceptions will be made. Please note that the Starting Business Library reserves the right to refuse payment to contributors if we suspect fraud.
- Once your article has been submitted to, published on, and paid for by the Starting Business Library, you automatically transfer full ownership rights to us. In effect, this grants us a worldwide unlimited license to, inter alia, host, edit, promote, reproduce, delete, distribute, and modify any article submitted to the Starting Business Library as we see fit and without prior notice.
- Contributors automatically lose the right to edit or delete an article once it has been published on and paid for by the Starting Business Library. If a correction must be made to a published article, please contact us directly by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that any requested changes or edits to your article will be made at the sole discretion of our editorial team.
- Should a contributor wish to permanently delete his or her account, they will have to contact us directly by sending an e-mail to email@example.com requesting their account’s deletion. Any and all articles (including text and media) associated with that account will be automatically transferred to the official Starting Business Library account. Users are encouraged to carefully consider such a request as it is irreversible upon confirmation.
- It is the contributors’ sole responsibility to seek explicit written permission to use licensed materials (including texts, images, audio, and video) from their respective copyright owners, and the Starting Business Library disclaims any and all responsibility for the content that its contributors submit to its website.
- The Starting Business Library reserves the right to restrict, suspend, or terminate your account if we suspect you are in breach of our rules and/or policies at our sole discretion.
These rules were last updated on September 15th 2016.
If you have any questions about any of our above stated rules, or the requirements we specify in our “Submission Guide”, Contact Us.